Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Code Cohesion, Inappropriate Intimacy and Other Dirty Sounding Architecture Principals

Who said software architecture wasn't exciting? 

Take a look at this great MSDN article that my boss at work linked me to, Patterns in Practice: Cohesion and Coupling and another one, I found on my own with Google, about Inappropriate Intimacy, which is defined by the author as "classes become far too intimate and spend too much time delving in each others' private parts."

Software Organization, a common topic of discussion among my technical architect peers, is a critical important component of good implementations.  The platform's future capabilities for reuse, refactorability and maintainability are all set down early in the design and development as cohesion and coupling are either defeated, accepted or ignored completely.

No comments: