Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Servers Direct

I have been having a wonderful time working with the system integration Servers Direct.

After more than five years of upgrading, extending and repairing a pair of workstations from earlier in the decade I decided to upgrade.

The two machines I was using were AMD x64 CPU systems and were built around gaming motherboards from DFI and NVidia. Never really intended as gaming boxes, I suffered a lot from expandability, heat and space issues using essentially consumer grade components for workstation grade work.

So this time I decided to make sure that it got done, and got done right. To that end I selected only workstation class components to build a machine that is certain to last comfortably for several long years of hard service.

For me, when I think about workstation class motherboards I think about Tyan and SuperMicro.

In the 1990s I was a die-hard Intel user and made the switch to AMD around the time of the Tyan Tiger and the Opteron (around 2003.) I ended up settling on Athlon64 processors in the end, but the Intel components were retired.

Now, in 2011 I have returned to my roots with the Xeon and Intel chipsets. Thank you Super Micro and Servers Direct.

More to come in future posts about the new computer experience ...

No comments: